By Darren Gutteridge
Birmingham, England at the 02 Academy
By Dot Net Staffer Darren Gutteridge
Finn Bálor came out for a surprise appearance. He said while he couldn’t wrestle, he could compete, so asked for the first ever Progress Musical Chairs match. He came in third, leaving to a huge ovation.
1. Ringkampf (Big Daddy Walter and Alex Dieter Jr.) defeated The Riots (James Davis and Rob Lynch). Walter won for his team by tapping out Lynch with a Rear Naked Choke.
2. Jack Sexsmith defeated Sebastian (w/ William Eaver). Sexsmith won with a crossface, during which he put “Mr. Cocko” (a condom) in Sebastian’s mouth.
3. Jimmy Havoc defeated Tommy End. Havoc had an open mic, and basically declared war on the British Strong Style (Trent Seven, Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate). He said he had never faced “someone in the back”, and asked them to come out. Turns out it was End, who Havoc defeated with an Acid Rainmaker Clothesline.
4. Alex Windsor defeated Livvii Grace. Windsor won a sharpshooter to advance in the Natural Progression tournament to crown the first Progress Women’s Champion.
5. South Pacific Power Trip (TK Cooper and Travis Banks) defeated The Origin Banter Edition (Dave Mastiff and El Ligero). Cooper got the pin on Mastiff following a flurry of big kicks, capped off by a Scissors Kick.
6. Spud defeated Paul Robinson via DQ. Robinson got himself disqualified with a low blow.
7. Matt Riddle defeated Rampage Brown to win the Progress Atlas Championship. Riddle answered Brown’s open challenge. He won after hitting a series of strikes on a prone Brown.
Notes: This was a great show. The ladies match was something of a weak link, but the surprises were fantastic, especially the shock of Riddle winning the Atlas title. The crowd of 700 was a sellout for Progress’s first show in Birmingham. They will return in July, with tickets on sale tomorrow.