By Jason Powell, Prowrestling.net Editor (@prowrestlingnet)
We are looking for reports on all WWE, NXT, ROH, Impact Wrestling, Evolve, and other notable live events. If you attend a show, you are encouraged to send a report or even basic results to firstname.lastname@example.org
WWE Live Event
Wheeling, West Virginia at Wesbanco Arena
Report by Duane Carpenter (a/k/a Jawbreaker)
1. Finn Balor pinned Baron Corbin in 11:00. Corbin dominated most of the match. Balor went for his Coup de Grace twice but both times Corbin knocked him off the top rope. The match ended when Balor rolled him up with a small package in the middle off the ring.
Elias came out next and played his guitar. He then played and sang “Country Roads” to the lively West Virginia crowd. Then he performed an Elias heel version of the song which turned the crowd against him.
2. The Revival, The B-Team, Elias, and Jinder Mahal beat Matt Hardy, Bray Wyatt, Titus O’Neil, Apollo Crews, Rhyno, and Heath Slater in 14:00 in a 12-person tag-team match. A lot of comedy early on involving Axel with Hardy and Wyatt. Late in the match, the B-Team with Hardy and Wyatt fought to the back and were never seen again. The finish came when Elias hit Drift Away on Heath for the pin. Heath was major over in his home state, so of course he ate the pin.
3. No Way Jose pinned Curt Hawkins in 5:00. I believe JoJo announced Hawkins’s losing streak was at 236 now. Maybe it was 216. It was tough to hear JoJo. The end came out of nowhere when No Way Jose hit his Fastball Punch. Curt did get a 2 ½ count during the match on No Way Jose but I don’t think anybody thought he was going to win at a house show. No reject Rosebuds for No Way Jose tonight.
4. Bayley, Natalya and Ember Moon beat Mickie James and “Riott Squad” Liv Morgan and Sarah Logan in 11:00. Moon spent most of the match selling. Bayley got the hot tag and pinned Logan with the Bayley to Belly suplex.
5. Braun Strowman pinned Kevin Owens in a No DQ match in 5:00. Some early stalling by Owens early. Braun dominated after getting Owens in the ring. Owens was tossed from the ring and found a fire extinguisher under the ring. He blinded Braun in the eyes with it for a short advantage. Owens grabbed a chair and hit Braun a few times in the back which he no-sold. Braun set up a table in the corner and power-slammed Owens safely into it for a lopsided win. After the match Braun went around the ring for a while taking selfies with fans and signing autographs.
6. Chad Gable pinned Mike Kanellis in 6:00. Neither man got much of a reaction coming off the intermission. Gable did manage some support as the match went on. Forgettable match.
Kanellis grabbed the microphone from JoJo and said he wasn’t leaving West Virginia a loser. He said he was from Boston and Boston is the City of Champions. He said he would even wrestle John Denver if someone brought him out. So out walked Bobby Lashley.
7. Bobby Lashley pinned Mike Kanellis in 1:00. Total squash for Lashley, who won with a modified version of his one-handed suspended vertical suplex. Like Braun, Lashley went around ringside for photos and autographs after the match.
8. Alexa Bliss pinned Sahsha Banks and Nia Jax in a Triple Threat in 12:00 for the Raw Women’s Title. With any three-way match, one person took a breather outside while the other two wrestled. For the most part, it was Jax that stayed outside the ring. Bliss controlled a lot of the match against Banks. The finish came when Jax hit a Samoan Drop on Banks. When Jax went for the pin, Bliss entered the ring and broke up the finish, and then covered Banks for the 1-2-3. Good effort by all three women. Jax was over big with the crowd.
9. Bobby Roode and Roman Reigns beat Dolph Ziggler and Drew McIntyre in 17:00. Ziggler and McIntyre controlled most of the match. They worked over Roode a lot with Reigns making a couple of hot tags. Ziggler hit a Zig-Zag on Roode for a near fall. The end came when Reigns pinned Ziggler after a Superman punch and spear. All four men put in a great effort. Very good main event. Following the match, Reigns and Roode hung out at ringside with the fans.
Notes: Very low turnout which I expected. Probably 1,200 at best. Wheeling though is only a 45 minute trip from Pittsburgh, which hosts the PPV so that probably hurt the attendance some.
Everyone worked a very safe style, which I expected with the PPV the next day. No one phoned it in but it was a very careful style. Ember Moon did a middle rope dive and Gable did a leap off the apron. That was about it for anything high-risk.
Really, the only main roster active wrestlers that didn’t appear were Seth Rollins and Authors of Pain.
The card changed several times. The main event was initially announced as Roman Reigns vs. Jinder Mahal. Then prior to the event the main event it was supposed to be Roman, Braun, and Lashley vs. McIntyre, Ziggler, and Owens.
Overall a fun night of action. No return date was announced.
NEW: Help support Prowrestling.net when you shop Amazon by starting your online Amazon shopping at Prowrestling.net/amazon. You are not charged extra, but we receive a small and very helpful commission on everything you purchase. Thanks for thinking of us every time you shop at Amazon.