By Jason Powell, Prowrestling.net Editor (@prowrestlingnet)
WWE Live Event
New York, New York at Madison Square Garden
Report by Dot Net Member Don Murphy (@DonThePredictor)
The following are live updates from tonight’s MSG live event. Refresh the page for the latest developments.
Overall, a good sized crowd. A couple of empty pockets but overall the building is fairly packed.
1. Bobby Lashley defeated Jinder Mahal (w/Sunil Singh) in 5:00. Lashley won with his vertical suplex finisher. The crowd was hot for Lashley with several loud “Bobby” chants. In fairness, it was the opening match and a lot of those chanting were kids. But, a positive reaction in New York, in Vince McMahon’s eyes, means Lashley may not be turning anytime soon.
2. Cedric Alexander defeated Buddy Murphy to retain the WWE Cruiserweight Championship in 13:00. Alexander won with the Lumbar Check finisher. Very good match and the crowd was into the near falls.
3. Matt Hardy and Bray Wyatt defeated Titus O’Neil & Apollo Crews (w/Dana Brooke) and Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas in a Triple Threat to retain the WWE Raw Tag Team Championship in 8:00. Matt with a Twist of Fate on Titus for the pin. Wyatt seemed to be moving around OK after the car accident. The B Team received a lukewarm reaction initially but kept the crowd engaged with several comedy spots throughout the match.
4. Bayley, Ember Moon, and Natalya over Liv Morgan, Sarah Logan and Alicia Fox in 7:00. Bayley performed the Bayley to Belly on Morgan for the pin. The injured Ruby Riott was not at ringside. Fitting with the current storyline, Bayley wrestled a slightly more aggressive style than usual.
5. Mojo Rawley over Bobby Roode in 6:00. A bit of a surprise here, but Roode may have injured his leg on a leap frog type move because they went right to the finish. He limped and was assisted back to the locker room by the referee. During the Glorious entrance, Mojo attacked from behind, which gained instant heat. I thought that was a nice touch.
6. Dolph Ziggler (w/Drew McIntyre) defeated Seth Rollins and Finn Balor in a Triple Threat to retain the Intercontinental Championship in 15:00. The match of the night so far. This built to a great ending sequence with a couple of “This is Awesome” chants. Early in the match, McIntyre was ejected from ringside after tripping Balor. He came out for the finish, distracting Rollins to allow Ziggler to hit the Zigzag for the win. After the match, Ziggler and McIntyre beat down Rollins with Balor making the save. Rollins had the pop of the night thus far.
7. Kalisto, Gran Metalik, and Lince Dorado over Drew Gulak, Jack Gallagher, and Brian Kendrick in 11:00. Metalik hit a flying elbow on Gulak for the pin.
8. Ronda Rousey over Nia Jax via tapout in 10:00. Alexa Bliss was the special referee. Prior to the match, Bliss brought out Mickie James to be a second referee. Mickie served as the in-ring referee while Bliss was outside. James counted slow for Rousey and eventually ended up attacking her. Rousey made her tap out to the arm bar. Jax attacked a distracted Rousey and went for a pin only to have Bliss attack her. Eventually, Rousey and Jax cleated the ring of Bliss and James. They continued the match and Rousey made Jax tap to the armbar, with another referee coming out to finish the match.
WWE returns to MSG on Wednesday December 26 for a Smackdown event. The advertised matches are AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe for the WWE Championship along with Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz. They made a point to say it was Bryan’s return after three years, which is a good sign for him re-signing with the company.
9. Undertaker, Braun Strowman, and Roman Reigns over Kevin Owens, Elias, and Baron Corbin in 13:00. Taker hit a Tombstone on Owens for the pin. He was limited to the hot tag at the end of the match, but it was the pop of the night and he still has the best entrance in wrestling. Taker had a stare down with Reigns after the match but it ended in a handshake, which the crowd cheered. Vince likely wet himself to hear that reaction.
We are looking for reports on all WWE, NXT, ROH, Impact Wrestling, Evolve, and other notable live events. If you attend a show, you are encouraged to send a report or even basic results to firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW: Help support Prowrestling.net when you shop Amazon by starting your online Amazon shopping at Prowrestling.net/amazon. You are not charged extra, but we receive a small and very helpful commission on everything you purchase. Thanks for thinking of us every time you shop at Amazon.