By Jason Powell, Prowrestling.net Editor (@prowrestlingnet)
We are looking for reports on all WWE, NXT, ROH, Impact Wrestling, Evolve, and other notable live events. If you attend a show, you are encouraged to send a report or even basic results to email@example.com
WWE Live Event
Fayetteville, North Carolina at Crown Coliseum
Report by Dot Net reader Nicholas Cannella
The advertised card for the show was AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for the WWE Title, Jeff Hardy vs. Rusev for U.S. Title, the Bludgeon Brothers vs. Usos vs. New Day for the Smackdown Tag Titles, Carmella vs. Charlotte for Smackdown Women’s Title, and Bryan vs Miz in a special attraction match. Well, at house shows, the card is always subject to change so here is what went down.
1. The Bludgeon Brothers defeated “The New Day” Kofi and Big E (w/Xavier Woods) and The Usos in a Triple Threat to retain the Smackdown Tag Titles. Luke Harper and Erick Rowan delivered their powerbomb finisher to Jimmy Uso for the win. New Day came out and did their usual stint to a pretty big crowd reaction and the fans were into it to kick off the show. Usos and Bludgeons received the heat from the crowd.
2. Sin Cara defeated Shelton Benjamin. Sin Cara was pretty over and had some good high flying spots. Shelton was playing up the heel role but still put in good work in the ring as usual. Sin Cara won with a frogsplash.
3. Asuka, Naomi, and Becky Lynch defeated Peyton Royce, Billie Kay, and Lana. Asuka made Lana tap out to the Asuka Lock. The three babyfaces received big pops and all six women put their effort into the match.
4. Daniel Bryan and Tye Dillinger defeated The Miz and Big Cass. Bryan came out to a huge pop with “YES”! Chants. Miz and Cass drew a lot of heat taunting the fans and their opponents. There was a lot of action back forth in this one with Cass and Miz getting upper hand for a while but Bryan and Tye answered back. Eventually, Bryan hit a series of YES kicks to Miz’s chest to gain the momentum and hit Cass with a running knee and got the pin.
5. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson defeated Sheamus and Cesaro. Anderson pinned Cesaro via the Magic Killer. The Club has been building up to a top face team as of late ever since the Superstar Shakeup. The Bar had a fair amount of good reaction from the crowd as well. The two teams had a action packed and exciting tag match.
6. Carmella defeated Charlotte Flair to retain the Smackdown Women’s Championship. Mella rolled up Charlotte when she shoved her into the turnbuckle and held the ropes for leverage in typical heel fashion. Both Woman put on a great performance and Charlotte was really over being a North Carolina native. It came off like she almost regained the title but fell short this time.
Up next they announced the main event would be a Triple Threat for the U.S Title. For some reason they never mentioned why AJ Styles did not appear to face Shinsuke Nakamura as advertised.
7. Jeff Hardy defeated Rusev and Shinsuke Nakamura in a Triple Threat Match to retain the U.S Championship. A fast-paced, safe, WWE style type match. They had the isolated one-on-one matchups with the other out of the ring recovering for long stretches. Hardy was being doubled team for a while by both men and eventually Rusev and Nakamura were being competitive against one another. Jeff gained momentum and was able to successfully defend his title by pinning Rusev after a Twist of Fate and Swanton Bomb. Jeff was way over in his home state and had one of the biggest pops of the night while both heels had well deserved heat from the fans. Jeff celebrated afterward.
Overall, a great show despite the fact the card changed throughout the night and with no mention as to why the WWE Champion AJ Styles wasn’t here, maybe they wanted to have Hardy main event in his native state or just Styles couldn’t simply make it. It was nice to see the U.S Title defended in the main event which hasn’t happened at a live event in about a year.
The Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast with Jason Powell features Frank Zarrillo discussing his film "The Wrestler: A QT Marshall Story", which includes appearances by Matt Riddle, Damian Priest, Gerald Brisco, Kevin Kelly, Steve Corino, and many more, the involvement of Marshall's wife and mother, and much more. Stick around after the interview for Powell's audio review of Wednesday's AEW Dynamite television show...