By Jason Powell, ProWrestling.net Editor (@prowrestlingnet)
We are looking for reports on all WWE, NXT, ROH, Impact Wrestling, MLW, Evolve, and other notable live events. If you attend a show, you are encouraged to send a report or even basic results to firstname.lastname@example.org
WWE Live Event
Columbia, South Carolina at Colonial Life Arena
Report by Dot Net reader Joe Lauderman
I was at the house show with my son last night in Columbia, SC. It was not packed, but not empty looking either in the lower area.
1. The Usos defeated Kofi Kingston & Big E and Nakumura & Russev to retain the Smackdown Tag Titles. The crowd was hot to start, and a long time was spent with pancake tossing. Good action with Usos winning with double superkick to Nakumura.
Jeff Hardy vs. Samoa Joe was up next. There was a big pop for Hardy, who was attacked from behind by Joe on his was to the ring. It was amusing to me, as this caused a fit by a little girl behind us, crying so loud as people tried to assure he was okay. As Hardy getting up, Joe attacked him again, which made her flip out more crying, “Samoa Joe is so mean.”
2. R- Truth beat Andrade to retain the U.S. Championship. Truth did “What’s up” forever, but the crowd was into it. Truth pinned Andrade clean, then picked out a bunch of kids for a dance break.
3. Nikki Cross and Lacy Evans defeated The Iiconics. Nikki cross is very short. I think Nikki pinned an iconic. Lacy did some impressive moves, and crowd liked her (she is from SC). The Iiconics are just lame, hardly a reaction for them.
There was a Miz TV segment with AJ Styles. The crowd was really into AJ. This was brief, before the bar interrupted leading to…
4. The Miz and AJ Styles beat Sheamus and Cesaro. The Miz is good with charisma, but the crowd just wanted AJ. Miz tried to get people to cheer him, but got “We want AJ” chants. AJ got the pin with a Phenomenal Forearm.
5. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson defeated Sanity. Gallows and Anderson won with ther finisher.
6. Jeff Hardy beat Samoa Joe. Lots of Delete chants solicited by Jeff. The girl behind us was excited, but still cried when Joe hit big moves. A good, crowd pleasing match. Jeff won after a Twist Of Fate, and the just a splash after running the ropes (no Swanton).
7.. Asuka defeated Charlotte Flair to retain the Smackdown Women’s Championship. A lot of the crowd loved Charlotte. There was a lot of woooing. Charlotte is such a pro and comes off as a star. Asuka is short. Charlotte really worked to get heat, talking trash, encouraging Becky chants, even telling someone in crowd to shut up. Obviously a Flair (went from pro Flair to split). A good match but crowd was burned out. Flair tapped.
Every babyface spent a lot of time talking selfies, signing stuff, etc. with fans after every match. But when Asuka was done and turned to wave, the place was empty with everyone off to exits. Joe vs. Hardy or the AJ match would have made a better main event.
Overall, a good time. I haven’t been to a live wrestling event since mid to late ’90s. What happened to the old lady crowd though? I know I am getting old now, but there used to be a lot of old ladies at these things going crazy back in the day. In fact, we just watched an old Horsemen match and all the front several rows had white or blue-ish hair, but I didn’t see any of them now. We used to go to my friend’s grandmas for the pay-per-views. Did the granny crowd go away with kayfabe?
NEW: Help support ProWrestling.net when you shop Amazon by starting your online Amazon shopping at ProWrestling.net/amazon. You are not charged extra, but we receive a small and very helpful commission on everything you purchase. Thanks for thinking of us every time you shop at Amazon.
The Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast with Jason Powell features Frank Zarrillo discussing his film "The Wrestler: A QT Marshall Story", which includes appearances by Matt Riddle, Damian Priest, Gerald Brisco, Kevin Kelly, Steve Corino, and many more, the involvement of Marshall's wife and mother, and much more. Stick around after the interview for Powell's audio review of Wednesday's AEW Dynamite television show...