We are looking for correspondents for all WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, and Evolve live events. If you attend a show, you are encouraged to send a report to firstname.lastname@example.org
WWE Live Event
Report by Dot Net reader Nicholas Cannella
WWE returned to Dubuque tonight for the first time since 2009. The card advertised featured AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose for the World Title and originally Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt. Two weeks ago, it was updated with Kane vs. Wyatt. The lineup through Ticketmaster’s email had Apollo Crews vs. The Miz for the Intercontinental Title, but obviously Ziggler is the IC Champ now.
1. Apollo Crews defeated The Miz (w/Maryse). Crews wins with a Spin-Out Powerbomb in a good opening contest. Lots of stalling by Miz before the match. Maryse was ejected in mid match for trying to get involved.
2. The Hype Bros and American Alpha defeated The Vaudevillains and The Ascension in an eight-man tag match. Jason Jordan set Chad Gable up with the Grand Amplitude on Simon Gotch for the Win. Good tag team action.
Bray Wyatt cut a promo on the video screen about Kane.
3. SmackDown Woman’s Champion Becky Lynch and Naomi defeated Natalya, Alexa Bliss, and Carmella in handicap match. Becky made Natty tap out to the Disarm-Her. Good work by all five Woman and Becky returned to action this weekend at the live events.
4. Kane defeated Bray Wyatt (w/Luke Harper). Wyatt attempted Sister Abigail but Kane countered it into a Choke Slam for the win. Good typical big man match as usual by both men. The fans lit up the phones as “fireflies” when Wyatt made his ring entrance. Kane was over as well.
5. Kalisto defeated Tyler Breeze. Kalisto wins with the Salida Del Sol finisher. Good high flying match. Kalisto made his return as well this weekend at the live events.
AJ Styles cut a promo on the video screen about his match with Ambrose and stated he “is the face that runs the place and the champ that runs the camp.”
6. Heath Slater and Rhyno defeated The Usos to retain the SmackDown Tag Titles. Rhyno pinned Jimmy after hitting the Gore. Slater and Rhyno came out to a good reaction while Usos received heat.
7. Baron Corbin defeated Jack Swagger. Corbin won via roll up. Swagger had the fans chanting ” We The People”.
8. A.J Styles defeated Dean Ambrose to retain the WWE Championship. Styles tried to leave with the title but Dean stopped him, and the ref took the belt out. Then Styles shoved Ambrose Into the exposed turnbuckle and pinned him with a roll up. Afterward, Styles grabbed the mic and stated he “is the face that runs place and still the WWE World Champion!” Then continued to rip the crowd. He ripped up a kids sign at ringside and Ambrose hit him with the Dirty Deeds to send the crowd home happy. Great performances by both men as always with Styles playing his great heel Role and Ambrose doing what he does best as the fan favorite.
Overall great show with a hot crowd all night and The Five Flags Center was near full. WWE doesn’t come to Dubuque very often the last time was for a Raw house show and Cena beat Orton via DQ in the main event. In 2008, they came to Dubuque for a SmackDown/ECW house show headlined by Batista/Kane beat Big Show/Edge.
Styles (mixed reaction)
Wyatt (when he came out)
Kalisto (“Lucha Lucha” chants)
Wyatt (when he taunted the crowd)
Styles (when he ripped the kids sign up)