We are looking for correspondents for all WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, and Evolve live events. If you attend a show, you are encouraged to send a report to firstname.lastname@example.org
WWE Smackdown Live Event
Palm Springs, California at the Palm Springs Convention Center
Report by Dot Net reader Nicholas Cannella
Tonight WWE held a Live Event in Palm Springs for the first time in 7 years and featured the Superstars from the SmackDown Brand. The last time they were here was in 2009 for a SmackDown/ECW House Show which was headlined by CM Punk and Rey Mysterio. The card advertised the past couple of weeks had a Double Main Event and No Mercy Preview of AJ Styles vs. John Cena vs. Dean Ambrose for the WWE World Title, and Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt.
1. Dolph Ziggler defeated Intercontinental Champion The Miz (w/Maryse) in a non-title match. Dolph stole the show and picked up the win with a superkick. Miz grabbed the mic before the match to claim he was “not a coward, the most must see Superstar, Greatest IC Champ ever and will end Ziggler’s career at No Mercy.” This was a very good opener to kick off the show.
2. American Alpha and The Hype Bros. defeated The Vaudevillains and The Ascension. Jordan and Gable hit the Grand Amplitude on Aiden English for the win. Action packed match from start to finish.
3. Apollo Crews defeated Curt Hawkins. Crews hit Hawkins with a Spin Out Power Bomb into a pinfall. This was a solid match and Hawkins worked very well as he made his in ring return this weekend at house shows.
4. Becky Lynch and Naomi defeated Natalya, Alexa Bliss, and Carmella in a handicap match. Becky made Natty tap out to the Disarm-her Submission. Both Becky and Naomi celebrated with the crowd. Entertaining match up here and good work by all five women.
5. Baron Corbin defeated Jack Swagger. Corbin won via roll up. Swagger came out to “We The People Chants”. There was a funny moment when a fan yelled “Wrestle the match!” as there was lots of stalling, Corbin responded at the fan “I get paid too much to not wrestle.”
6. Randy Orton defeated Bray Wyatt. Orton attempted the RKO but Wyatt countered it for “Sister Abigail” but Orton reversed it, then went for for a roll up but as Bray kicked out, The Viper hit an RKO out of no where for the finish. The match went almost 20 minutes and Orton was very over with the crowd as they chanted “Randy”. Wyatt also played his usual great heel role throughout the match. Afterward, Orton circled his way around, took pictures and signed autographs for the fans.
7. Kane defeated Tyler Breeze. Breeze grabbed the mic and said, “no one wants to see me fight Kane tonight. They want to see us take a selfie.” After calling Kane “dumb,” Kane took a picture with Breeze, and then pinned him after chokeslam.
8. Rhyno and Heath Slater defeated The Usos to retain the Smackdown Tag Titles. Rhyno pinned Jimmy after hitting the Gore. Great tag action here with several moves.
9. AJ Styles defeated John Cena and Dean Ambrose in a Triple Threat Match to retain the WWE Championship. Cena attempted an AA on Ambrose but AJ hit Ambrose with a chair. Then he went for a chair shot on Cena but John blocked it. AJ gave Cena a low blow and rolled him up for the pin. Awesome match with lots of action and near falls. All three men were very over as it was also a pro Cena crowd. Afterward, Styles grabbed the mic and said, “I’m still the face that runs this place and still the WWE World Heavyweight Champion!” Ambrose hit the Dirty Deeds on AJ followed by an AA from Cena to send the crowd home happy. Cena and Ambrose both argued over the World Title back and fourth but eventually they both posed and raised it in each of their corners. Another funny moment was when AJ got up and had a tug o war match with Cena back and fourth with the title belt but Styles was knocked back down pretty hard in the ring as Cena pulled the belt away. Cena left the belt and he and Ambrose walked out celebrating with the fans.
Overall a great show with lots of action and entertainment. A good warmup for the No Mercy PPV this Sunday. The Convention Center was just about full and this venue is not a typical place for WWE making it a small srena as they just had regular chairs set up on a flat surface in the main convention hall around the ring as usual when they’re here. This is where Palm Springs Comic Con is held and other vendor events.
Cena and Orton
Styles (mixed reaction)
Wyatt when he taunted the crowd
The new edition of the Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast with Jason Powell features ProWrestling.net staffer John Moore returning for an in-depth discussion on NXT, AEW, Impact Wrestling, MLW, and the NWA, and more...