We are looking for correspondents for all WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, and Evolve live events. If you attend a show, you are encouraged to send a report to firstname.lastname@example.org
WWE Live Event
Fresno, California at Savemart Center
Report by Dot Net reader Kurt Kross
This was my first WWE live show in Fresno. It left a lot to be desired, but as it was a house show I expected the wrestlers to just be going through the motions. Savemart Center was about half full with approximately 3,000 people, half kids, half adults ratio. All the adults around us were siting on their hands the whole night. I didn’t see any of them clap and cheer or boo even once the whole evening. No wrestlers except for Seth Rollins said a word to the crowd aside from Eva Marie and Carmella doing their little schtick. Weak. Most kids had Enzo/Cass, John Cena, or New Day gear. The adults had mostly Seth shirts. Of course I sported my Sami Zayn club skull shirt.
1. Cesaro defeated Sheamus. The match got a lot more crowd reaction than it should of since it was the first match. We got a lot of uppercuts and a Cesaro Swing. Other than that nothing much.
2. Jay Uso beat Tyler Breeze (w/Fandango). It was over before it started basically. About two minutes in, Fandango got on apron and distracted Tyler, and Jey hit a super kick. Afterward, my fiancée whispered in my ear ‘poor tyler’ as he is one our favorites. Poor Tyler.
3. The Miz beat Titus O’Neil and Darren Young in a Triple Threat to retain the Intercontinental Title. Okay for what it is. Kids seem to like doing Titus’s bark. Miz hit the Skull Crushing Finale. Not much reaction except for Miz’ entrance, which was mostly cheers.
4. Sami Zayn defeated Baron Corbin. Sami won when he reversed a Corbin power over into a sunset flip. Corbin hit End of Days after the match. The trainers checked on Sami, who sold well and got up after a minute or two to a nice applause.
5. Xavier Woods and Kofi Kingston beat Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows to retain the WWE Tag Team Championship. Good pop for New Day but a mechanical match. Big E came out onto the stage at the end and distracted Anderson, allowing Kofi to hit Trouble in Paradise. I thought I’d see more unicorns in the crowd, but I only saw maybe 20-30.
6. Roman Reigns pinned Seth Rollins. About the same about of cheers and boos from the crowd for each man. There were some Seth chants but no Roman chants. Actually, Roman got a “you can’t wrestle” chant. Kids like Roman. The highlight of night occurred toward end of match when Seth grabbed a mic called the crowd losers, etc. We laughed. Seth is funny. Of course, right when he turned around, he ate a spear and took the pin. There were chants for the curb stomp throughout. A decent match but slow with a lot of rest holds since Reigns seemed was gassed.
7. Becky Lynch and Carmella defeated Alexa Bliss and Natalya. Boring as hell. Eva Marie came out to the top of stage after entrances and told the crowd we didn’t deserve her presence and walked away. Hmmm, OK.
8. Randy Orton beat Bray Wyatt. Nice pops for both men. Bray played to the crowd well by mimicking Orton’s pose and flexing. No second rope DDT. Orton hit the RKO out of nowhere, as always. Decent match.
9. Dean Ambrose defeated AJ Styles to retain the WWE Championship. A chant started halfway through that sounded like Rodney King to me until my girl told me it was Dirty Deeds. There were a couple of good spots and near falls but nothing believable. AJ didn’t perform any of his signature moves. Dean didn’t even do his between the ropes ricochet lariat. Lackluster main event. At this point, the crowd just wanted Dean to pin him so we could go home.
All in all, I don’t have many complaints, but I didn’t have too high of expectations going in. I bought good seats at a decent price. Still, no more house shows for me. They just aren’t fun. Maybe I will go if it’s a television event. My girlfriend and I got a kick out of seeing Sami, Seth, and Breeze perform live for the first time, but that’s about it.
Biggest Pops: Ambrose, Orton, New Day
Most Heat: Rollins, Reigns, Sheamus