We are looking for correspondents for all WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, Evolve, and GFW live events. If you attend a show, you are encouraged to send a report to email@example.com
WWE Live Event
Report by Dot Net reader Robert Coll
This was my third ever live wrestling show, having gone to the NXT show in December with my brother, who also came to this show and is very much a casual fan. I also attended a house show 12 years ago, and it also had Triple H in the main event. This looked like a legit sell out so about 8,000 fans in attendance with a lot of kids, which is to be expected.
1. The Miz (w/Maryse) beat Dolph Ziggler to retain the Intercontinental Title. Both were over huge, with Ziggler getting a lot of chants. Miz is so good at heeling it up in front of a crowd and Maryse only helps that fact. Miz won in 10 minutes after Maryse got involved. Ziggler hit a ZigZag afterward to get his mojo back.
2. Alberto Del Rio beat Damien Sandow. A squash with Del rio winning in 3 minutes with the cross armbreaker. Poor Sandow. Afterwards, Del Rio got on the mic and said that he hated Newcastle and challenged anyone in the back to a match.
3. Fandango beat Alberto Del Rio. A strange match. I don’t think anyone thought Fandango would come out to accept. Del Rio taunted the fans for liking Fandango, who ended up winning with a roll up in about a minute.
4. Sami Zayn defeated Kevin Owens. A great match with Sami getting a lot of “OLE” chants and Owens getting on the mic to say he is going to leave if they continue. A lot of great heel work from Owens, who attacked Zayn before the bell and tried to be intentionally counted out. Zayn won with the Helluva kick in about ten minutes. A good match, as expected.
5. Paige, Natalya, Eva Marie and Alicia Fox beat Lana, Cameron, Tamina and Summer Rae in an eight-woman tag match. My brother and I went to get beer at this point, but we came back to see Paige pin Tamina with a Rampaige in about 12 minutes. Paige got a great reaction when she came out and I will say that Eva Marie is stunning in person. I can see why Vince may wants to push her as the face of the division despite her in-ring flaws.
6. AJ Styles beat Chris Jericho. Jericho came out to a good pop, before getting booed for slagging on the city and the AJ Styles chants. Styles came out to the biggest reaction of the evening until the main event. I was surprised by how many kids loved him. The kids kept doing his poses so he is over as babyface for sure. A great match, Styles is smooth in his wrestling and Jericho is so good at the little things. Styles won with a Styles Clash in 15 minutes. This turned out to be the match of the night.
7. Goldust beat Curtis Axel. We came back to see Axel and Viktor cutting a promo, with Axel saying that Viktor is now a member of the Social Outcasts. A basic match with Goldust winning in five minutes. The Outcasts attacked Goldust afterward before R-Truth ran out for the save and a dance.
8. Kalisto beat Ryback to retain the U.S. Title. The Lucha chants were very over, and I saw a lot of kids with Kalisto masks, so it seems Kalisto has some upper traction. A basic match, not to different form their Mania match ( although this probably had a bigger crowd) with Kalisto winning in eight minutes.
9. Big Show and Kane beat Braun Strowman and Erick Rowan. This was boring. I was happy to see Kane and Big Show live, as they were two of my favourite from when I was a kid, but this match was so slow. The crowd kept themselves entertained with Enzo Amore and New Day chants and I can’t blame them It went 15 minutes, which was too long. Big Show and Kane won with a double chokeslam on Rowan in 15 minutes.
10. Dean Ambrose defeated Triple H. Triple H came out to a great reaction, but Ambrose was the pop of the night. The kids near me were going crazy when he came out. A basic, safe match but good nonetheless. The best spot was Ambrose doing his suicide dive on to Triple H and he ended up going into the crowd, which didn’t look planned. Ambrose won in 15 minutes after hitting a low blow and Dirty Deeds.
Overall, a fun show, but my brother and I enjoyed ourselves more at NXT in December. The crowd seemed to be into it with lots of kids keeping the energy level high. It was a good card for a Newcastle house show and I am glad to have seen Triple H, Jericho, and Styles all live.
Biggest Cheers: Ambrose, Styles, Triple H, Zayn
Most Boos: Jericho, Miz, Owens, Triple H
The new edition of the Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast with Jason Powell and guest Court Bauer, who discusses MLW Saturday Night SuperFight, his mindset just days before the company's first pay-per-view, the $19.99 price point, future PPV possibilities, the free pre-show, former WWE and Lucha Underground creative force Chris DeJoseph joining the MLW staff, and more...