WWE Live Event
Chicago, Illinois at Allstate Arena
Report by Brad Walker MMATorch.com columnist
1. Dolph Ziggler defeated Tyler Breeze via pinball. Breeze hit his supermodel kick and also ate a zig zag earlier in the match for some nice near falls. This was a TV worthy effort from these two. Summer Rae got ejected leading to the super kick and pin for Ziggler who got one of the biggest pops of the night.
2. Jack Swagger beat Bo Dallas via pinfall. Bo got some super heat by crapping on the city of Chicago calling it a garbage city, Swaggers “we the people” chant was basically universal in the building. Swagger won quickly with a swagger bomb.
3. Goldust defeated Bo Dallas. After the previous match, Bo demanded another opponent and Goldust obliged. Goldust hit a power slam on a running Bo and pinned him immediately (roughly ten seconds).
4. Curtis Axel, Damian Sandow, Zack Ryder, Fandango, and Darren Young over The Ascension, Los Matadores and Heath Slater. Fandango pinned Viktor after his leg drop off the top. Curtis Axel worked like 70 percent of this match. Ryder is so over its unfair.
5. Kane defeated Bray Wyatt. Wyatt got über heat, Kane got a decent pop. Some cool top rope spots and near falls leading to a choke slam for the pin for Kane. WTF is going on with Wyatt? Is he useless without the family?
6. Brie Bella and Alicia Fox defeated Sasha Banks and Naomi (w/Tamina). Brie pinned Naomi after kicking out of the Rearview and hitting the X-Factor. Big pops for both teams, the Team Bad “unity” thing is every bit as stupid in person as it is on TV.
WWE returns for Raw on Monday, March 7.
7. New Day defeated The Lucha Dragons and The Usos in a Triple Threat to retain the WWE Tag Team Championship. New Day had a new video wall. New Day got so much heat we forgot it was 20 and windy outside. Good pop for the Usos, and kids are really into the Lucha Dragons.
8. Roman Reigns defeated Sheamus in a street fight to retain the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Sheamus actually has a really cool entrance in person, and Reigns came out on the opposite side of the building from where he does during TV. We got kendo sticks chairs and tables in this one. Weirdly, Sheamus was on the offensive nearly the entire match until a spear that failed to break the table and a pin to send the crowd home happy.
All in all it was a good show. My seven-year-old daughter, who is a super mark for the Usos and Reigns, came for the first time and had a blast. We got to see a few superstars entering the building – Bray Wyatt, Axel and Sandow. None of whom acknowledged the crowd by the guardrails, but it was ice cold so who can blame them?
1. John Cena video promo for Raw (No, really)
2. Roman Reigns
3. Zack Ryder/Dolph Ziggler (tie)
1. New Day
2. Bo Dallas (oodles of “you suck” Chants too)
3. Bray Wyatt
We are looking for correspondents for all WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, Evolve, and GFW live events. If you attend a show, you are encouraged to send a report to firstname.lastname@example.org