2011 WWE Draft: Full results of the annual draft lottery, 30 picks total
By Jason Powell
The following is a live coverage update of the WWE Draft that took place on April 26, 2011. The first eight picks were made during the live Raw on Monday. You will need to refresh the page for the latest updates.
1. John Cena to Smackdown.
2. Rey Mysterio to Raw.
3. Randy Orton to Smackdown.
4. Mark Henry to Smackdown.
5. Sin Cara to Smackdown.
6. Big Show to Raw.
7. Alberto Del Rio to Raw.
8. John Cena drafted back to Raw.
9. Daniel Bryan to Smackdown: I love this move. Bryan should thrive on the wrestling-heavy brand. As much as I want to see a Kharma vs. Gail Kim feud, I hope it happens on Raw so that the Bryan and Gail pairing ends.
10. Jack Swagger to Raw: The supplemental version of the draft has been newsworthy thus far. Another solid move. Swagger had the title run, but it was downhill from there aside from some hilarious comedy with his storyline father. Here's hoping the Raw creative team will pull back on the comedy and focus on establishing him as a bad ass in the ring.
11. The Great Khali and Ranjin Singh to Smackdown: I love when WWE does the multi-person picks and never bothers to establish that it's in play. It feels like Khali and Big Show move in the draft every year. The supplemental round started with a bang. It looks like the dull picks have started.
12. Jimmy Uso to Smackdown. Yep, we're definitely into the dull picks. I like the Uso brothers, but WWE doesn't like tag teams. I'm sure we all assume this means Jimmy's brother will be joining him on Smackdown by the end of the day.
13. Kelly Kelly to Raw: With Kharma (a/k/a Awesome Kong) apparently heading to Raw, I guess it makes sense to have the Diva who most resembles a Barbie Doll there for her to destroy on her first night in. It's worth noting that I'm just guessing on where Kong will land.
14. JTG to Raw: I wonder if the pick will stick this year. Keep in mind that JTG was drafted to Raw last year, only to have the WWE web team wait 15 minutes to inform everyone that he wasn't actually drafted. How about an R-Truth and JTG pairing?
15. Alicia Fox to Smackdown: Does it really matter when the Divas switch brands since the WWE Divas Champion can defend the belt on either brand? Alicia has improved a lot since she arrived in WWE. Alicia's match with Melina is my favorite match of all time (see Tough Enough).
16. William Regal to Smackdown: The NXT color commentator is moving to the Friday night brand. I'd love to see Regal get one more push, particularly now that he's on the wrestling-heavy show. However, WWE seems set on using him as one of the veteran performers who works with and puts over the younger talent. If they're going to continue to use Regal in such capacity, then I'd like to see them have Regal work a program with Daniel Bryan. Granted, Bryan doesn't really need the in-ring mentoring, but I'd put the green wrestlers around the backstage monitor and have them watch the wrestling clinic closely.
17. Yoshi Tatsu to Smackdown: I thought there was mid-card money in Yoshi when he arrived in WWE, but not with the campy way he's been portrayed. I'd like to see them take more of a serious approach because the guy has shown he can work and the fans were quick to react to him when he arrived in the company. Sadly, I'm guessing we get more of the same cute comedy crap with Yoshi on Friday nights. Actually, we'll probably see more of him on Thursday nights via WWE Superstars than we will on Fridays. I hope I'm wrong.
18. Drew McIntyre to Raw: An intriguing pick. WWE pushed McIntyre aggressively on Smackdown, but he just didn't take off the way they hoped he would. The problem I see is that he's very one dimensional on the mic. He has a good look and can go in the ring, but he has yet to make a real connection with the fans because all of his promos sound the same. If he can improve his mic skills and he has layers added to his character, he could be a player in WWE.
19. Natalya to Smackdown: Perhaps the idea is to move her away from Kharma to set up an eventual showdown match. In the meantime, Natalya vs. Beth Phoenix would be a lot of fun, assuming Beth isn't moved to Raw before the end of the day.
20. Curt Hawkins to Raw: This is the game changer! Call off The Rock vs. John Cena main event at WrestleMania 28. Or maybe Undertaker has a real threat to The Streak. Hey, nothing against Hawkins, but I think we'll see more of him on WWE Superstars than on Monday nights.
21. Chris Masters to Raw. Another legend of WWE Superstars switches brands. It feels like Masters has been with the company for a decade, but he's only 28. In other words, there's still time for him to break out of the undercard and make an impact. Yes, he could also end up on Impact someday too.
22. Jey Uso to Smackdown: This became the most predictable move in the draft once Jimmy Uso was moved to Smackdown earlier today. Will Tamina be next? Does anyone care? Yes, I'm starting to get grumpy with the undercard flip flopping.
23. Kofi Kingston to Raw: Wow, I'm surprised this move wasn't made on Raw last night. Perhaps this explains why Kofi pinned Sheamus last night on Raw, as it may have been the first step in a program between the two. That said, I'd still like to see Sheamus moved to Smackdown by the end of the day.
24. Ted DiBiase to Smackdown: I really like this move because the only place he can go is up following his lousy last year on Raw. If nothing else, the draft is picking up a bit after the undercard reshuffling in the middle of the draft.
25. Tyson Kidd to Smackdown: Reunited with Natalya and it feels so blah. I like Kidd and it's a plus that he's going to be on the wrestling-heavy show, but I don't know that he'll be featured any more prominently on Fridays than he was on Mondays. It will be interesting to see whether David Hart Smith follows.
26. Tamina to Smackdown: I guess this means the yawner pairing of Tamina and Santino Marella is history (barring a Santino move). No, I'm not complaining. The Uso brothers and their valet are all together on Smackdown.
27. Tyler Reks to Raw: Okay, the draft has officially jumped the shark. I'm not saying Reks will be one of them, but why do I get the feeling that a lot of the people who are being drafted today will be wished the best in their future endeavors before they ever appear on their new brand? If nothing else, the fact that Reks and Masters are on the same brand means they can continue their legendary Thursday night feud that has already resulted in what feels like hundreds of WWE Superstars matches.
28. Alex Riley to Smackdown: It's worth noting that Riley told one of our correspondents at WrestleMania Fan Axxess that his split with The Miz would be coming sooner rather than later because the company had already been working on his new entrance theme and video wall. It will be interesting to see how Riley does in a traditional wrestling role rather than as the sidekick of The Miz.
29. Beth Phoenix to Raw: Beth and Santino reunited now that Tamina is out of the picture? I hope it's more than that. Beth hasn't been doing much on Smackdown, and this likely sets up an eventual program with her and Kharma (a/k/a Awesome Kong). I'd definitely pay to see that match. By the way, there's only one pick remaining in the draft. I'd love to see Zack Ryder move to Smackdown if that means he'd actually be utilized. They usually start and end these things with something notable. I guess we'll find out shortly.
30. Sheamus to Smackdown: So much for the Kofi Kingston program. Therefore, his loss last night to Kingston doesn't seem to make any sense on the surface beyond the usual political crap of having the new Raw wrestler beat the new Smackdown wrestler. Overall, though, I like the move for Sheamus, who should be a player on Smackdown. It's worth noting that the U.S. Title and the Intercontinental Title are both on the Friday night show. I'm guessing that won't last long. This pick concluded the 2011 WWE Draft after roughly four-and-a-half hours. Good lord.
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...