10/2 NXT in Nashville results: "I have been to WrestleMania and this is the most fun I have ever had at a wrestling event," TV cameras present, more on Carmella's injury, Finn Balor declares the NXT Championship the most important title in pro wrestling
NXT live event
Nashville, Tennessee at War Memorial Auditorium
Report by Dot Net reader Derik
The War Memorial Auditorium was fired up for NXT. With the way the theater was set up, it may have sat 400 people, but every seat was packed and the crowd was rowdy, loud, and fun all night.
I purchased VIP tickets, which came with a meet and greet beforehand. I was a little disappointed to find out we would only be meeting one wrestler, but the disappointment washed away after getting to meet Apollo Crews. He was incredibly nice and took time to make every person feel special.
As everyone started filing in, the chants began. "New...Day rocks" was a popular one, as was the obligatory "Let's Go Cena/Cena Sucks" chant. Around this time a guy in the balcony showed off his "If Eva Marie is Here...We Riot" sign which got plenty of "Yes!" chants. He also showed off a popular "Breeze Nuts" sign. Funny. I was interested to see three cameramen and a boom mic operator there. They filmed everything like it was a televised show. I assume that means we'll get highlights on WWE Network.
Greg Hutson and Dasha Fuentes were our hosts and took turns as ring announcers. Greg asked for a "NXT" chant to start the show, which we were happy to oblige.
1. Enzo and Cass (w/Carmella) defeated Chad Gable and Jason Jordan. The roof came off the building when Enzo and Cass came out. It was one of the top three reactions I've ever heard. Enzo got the crowd in a frenzy with a bunch of Johnny Cash references, and then Cass gave us the S-A-W-F-T payoff. At one point, a "Fake Kurt Angle" chant started for Jordan. Typical Enzo and Cass match: Enzo took the beating, tagged Cass, Cass cleaned house, launched Enzo off the top rope leading to the 1-2-3.
2. Bull Dempsey defeated Elias Sampson. Sampson came out with his guitar and a faint "Who Are You?" Chant. He strummed his guitar and sang a song running down Nashville. Bull came out to a decent reaction. Bull won with the old Doink the Clown whoopee cushion move, because he's fat you guys.
3. Bayley defeated Emma and Alexa Bliss in a Triple Threat for the NXT Women's Title. Huge cheers for Emma, mostly boos for Alexa, and the place went crazy for Bayley. As Bayley entered the ring, a "Mother Hugger" chant started. Funny. Typical triple threat match: either one person was thrown outside so two people could wrestle, or the heels double teamed Bayley. Bayley won with a Bayley to belly on Alexa Bliss.
After the match, Bayley saw a little girl that was dressed like her. She hugged the girl and then let her pose with the Women's Title. Pretty cool moment.
4. Samoa Joe defeated Baron Corbin. Corbin got the first real heel reaction of the night. People just don't like him at all. Another huge reaction for Joe, who milked it for all it was worth. The match was a lot like their Takeover match: hard hitting, strong style. Joe made Corbin pass out in the Coquina Clutch.
We had an intermission here.
5. Apollo Crews defeated Tye Dillinger. Both guys got really good reactions, with Crews getting the bigger pop. Lot of number chants at Dillinger. At one point, he cartwheeled over Crews and pulled out a 10 card. Next sequence, Crews cartwheeled over Dillinger and did a backflip. He then ran out and high-fived all the fans around ringside. Crews is impressive. He won with the standing moonsault.
6. Eva Marie defeated Carmella. NUCLEAR HEAT for Eva Marie. To her credit, she took it all in and acted like she was the biggest star in the world. Really sloppy match, mostly Eva's fault. At one point in the match, Carmella was lying on the apron and Eva Marie kicked her full fledged in the head. I was maybe six feet away from it, and immediately knew something was wrong. Eva pinned Carmella and the ref threw up the "X". Trainers hit the ring and attended to Carmella, who barely moved for a while. Finally, she was able to get out of the ring and be helped to the back by the referee. Scary.
7. The Vaudevillains defeated Dash and Dawkins to retain the NXT Tag Team Championship. Scott Dawkins gained a new fan. He was talking so much trash to these two fans at ringside, he had me rolling with his comebacks. Great tag team match. Anytime English or Gotch did something, the crowd would chant "That was manly." Fun spot where English and Gotch took turns wrenching Dawkins arm and would do 10 squat thrusts as well. Vaudevillains win with the Whirling Dervish.
8. Finn Balor defeated Tyler Breeze to retain the NXT Championship. Breeze entered first to a big reaction, but the place came unglued for Balor. Funny moment, Breeze was posing on the turnbuckles while Finn was entering. When it would come to the part in Finn's entrance where he and the audience lift their hands, Breeze would do it also in the most DGAF sarcastic way. It was hilarious. Balor got the the ring apron and instead of lifting his hands, made the ole DX crotch chop to wild cheers from the fans. This match was definitely the match of the night, and was probably the best match I've ever seen live. They went at it for about fifteen minutes. At one point, someone in the balcony yelled, "Too Sweet me, Finn" to which Balor obliged for a huge pop. False finishes, a Beauty Shot kickout, even some action on the floor. This match delivered and then some. Balor won with the Coup De Grace.
After the match, Balor looked into one of the cameras, held up the belt, and said, "This is the most important title in professional wrestling." I thought that was pretty cool. Finn then made the round, high-fiving and Too Sweeting everyone at ringside.
I've been to Wrestlemania, I've been to Raw in the Attitude Era, Smackdowns, other PPVS, and this was the absolute most fun I've ever had at a wrestling event. I encourage anyone who can to go see NXT if they come to your area of the world. Unbelievably fun night.
We are looking for correspondents for all WWE, NXT, TNA, ROH, and GFW live events. If you attend a show, you are encouraged to send a report to firstname.lastname@example.org
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...
From Around the Web