By Zack Zimmerman
Aired May 15, 2014
Taped April 24, 2014 at Full Sail University
A video package recapped last week's main event battle royal which ended in a tie between Tyler Breeze, Sami Zayn, and Tyson Kidd. Triple H came out to announce a Triple Threat match for this week's show to determine Adrian Neville's challenger at NXT Takeover… The opening video played…
In the arena, the NXT Tag Team Champions The Ascension made their entrance. Their opponents were already waiting at ringside.
1. The Ascension vs. Buddy Murphy and Elias Sampson. The Ascension used a double-team straight jacket slam and hit the Fall of Man moments later for the win.
The Ascension squashed Buddy Murphy and Elias Sampson in about 1:30.
Post-match, William Regal on commentary complained about The Ascension's lack of credible opponents. The Ascension took a mic and Konnor said they had laid waste to every team in the NXT Universe and now they want something new to destroy. Kalisto and Local's music hit and they walked onto the stage. Local spoke in mixed English and Spanish and presented a challenge to The Ascension. Kalisto got his "Lucha Lucha Lucha" chant going but it quickly became a "yah yah yah" chant for The Ascension…
Backstage, Sami Zayn spoke with new backstage interviewer Veronica. He said he's been good at getting obcessed with things and coming up short but said he would take his opportunity to redeem himself and earn a title shot tonight… [C]
Back in the arena, Eden announced that Tyler Breeze had entered the building. Alexa Bliss made her entrance followed by Charlotte.
2. Charlotte (w/ Sasha Banks) vs. Alexa Bliss in the semifinals of the NXT Women's Title tournament. Bliss did her flip off the second rope and landed on her feet before attempting a tilt-a-whirl small package to no avail. Charlotte took control and went to work. Charlotte applied an abdominal stretch and kept the upper-hand. Bliss tried to fire back at the three-minute mark but got caught by Charlotte who hit a backbreaker and stretched Bliss over her knee. Bliss fought out but Charlotte choked Bliss on the ropes and hit another backbreaker. Charlotte hit her flipping cutter that she calls Bow Down to the Queen for the win.
Charlotte defeated Alexa Bliss in about 5:00 to advance to the finals of the NXT Women's Title tournament.
The commentators, Tom Phillips, William Regal, and Byron Saxton threw to a clip of Tyler Breeze. Breeze was holding his own camera and said you need to have the looks to win. He scoffed at Kidd and called Zayn boring. He said they prove that Canadians can't be good-looking. He said he'll do whatever it takes to get what he wants. "Prince Pretty – out," he closed… [C]
Zim Says: Decent match between the ladies that showed their ability to put a basic match together. Nothing special. Charlotte is capable but unexciting and Bliss sells well and continues to show good athleticism. I really liked Breeze's promo too. We need to see more of this from him.
Back in the arena, Mojo Rawley made his entrance. A video package showed the altercation between Rawley and Aiden English two weeks ago before Aiden English sang himself to the ring.
3. Mojo Rawley vs. Aiden English. Mojo added a running crossbody to his moveset. English briefly took control; he used a neckbreaker and a DDT before Mojo fired back and hit the Hyperdrive for the win.
Mojo Rawley over Aiden English in about 3:30.
Backstage, Tyson Kidd was taping his fists and spoke with the roving reporter. He said he believes in hard work and second chances paying off. He said all the guys making noise on the main roster came through NXT and he said he will be champion...[C]
Zim Says: During the match, the commentators announced that Kalisto and El Local will face The Ascension for the NXT Tag Team Championships at Takeover on May 29.
Angelo Dawkins was already in the ring before 'Big Cass' Colin Cassady made his entrance.
4. Colin Cassady vs. Angelo Dawkins. Cassady was in control the whole time. CJ Parker was in the crowd with a sign that said "No Xtra Toxins" on one side and "This Sign is Recyclable" on the other. Cassady hit an absurd number of elbow drops throughout the match. Dawkins threw a few punches and a high dropkick at the three-minute mark but Cassady caught him with a high knee. Cass hit a big boot and a swinging side slam called the East River Crossing for the win…
Colin Cassady beat Angelo Dawkins in about 3:30.
Backstage, Bo Dallas approached JBL about tonight's Triple Threat match. He handed JBL a bunch of papers that were letters from Bolievers all over the world. He said if JBL didn’t do something, the letters would flood JBL's office soon. JBL suggested Bo bring the letters to CJ Parker for recycling. JBL said he wasn’t going to put Bo in the match tonight, but he would give Bo an opportunity. He said if he wins, he gets a title shot. But if he loses, he has to leave NXT. JBL said he'll give Bo five guesses. Bo was thrilled that the match was against Big E because he's undefeated against Big E… [C]
Zim Says: Cassady is showing little-to-no progression in the ring. His schtick was enough to get him over in the beginning but it's easy to see through at this point and he's just not very good in the ring. Bo was great as usual and JBL was a fun foil to no-sell Bo's ridiculousness.
Back in the arena, Tyson Kidd made his entrance. Tyler Breeze was out next. Sami Zayn was the final man out. He has a new shirt that says "InZayn" on the front. Before the bell, the crowd chanted for "Yoshi Tatsu!" Naturally.
5. Tyson Kidd vs. Sami Zayn vs. Tyler Breeze in a No. 1 Contender's match. Sami Zayn took the brunt of the offense in the opening minutes before he caught Kidd with a flapjack dropkick. He charged for the Helluva Kick but Breeze met him in the middle of the ring with the Beauty Shot. Kidd broke up Breeze's pinfall attempt. [C]
Breeze was in control of Kidd in the ring with Zayn out at ringside from Breeze's kick. Kidd ran for a suicide dive that was reversed by Breeze, but Zayn followed closely and took Breeze out at ringside with a tope atomico. Zayn followed up with a high crossbody on Kidd in the ring for a near-fall. A short time later, Zayn caught Breeze with the Blue Thunder Bomb for another near-fall. There was an great spot where Kidd hit Zayn with a German suplex while Zayn was holding Breeze in position for an exploder suplex.
Zayn and Kidd traded kicks before Kidd locked in the Sharpshooter on Zayn. Kidd dragged Zayn to the middle of the ring, but Breeze re-entered the ring and dropped Kidd with a superkick for a near-fall. Kidd got dumped to ringside before Zayn hit Breeze with an exploder into the turnbuckles for another near-fall.
Zayn ran the ropes for his tornado DDT but Breeze crotched him on the top rope. Kidd caught Breeze with a high kick from the apron and went to the top rope. Zayn charged across the ring and rocked Breeze with the Helluva Kick, but Kidd knocked Zayn to ringside and hit a diving elbow drop on Breeze in the ring for the win.
Tyson Kidd won the Triple Threat in about 10:00 to earn a NXT Title match at Takeover.
Zayn scrambled back into the ring and remained the rest of the show dejected against the ropes. Kidd celebrated his win as the show went off air…
Zim Says: The match started out pretty basic with two guys going at a time, but it picked up a bit and there was some exciting action and fun spots. I wouldn't have minded this match going a few minutes longer, but it was still the best match on the show by far. Neville vs. Kidd has the potential to be an exceptional match.
This was a pretty mediocre show. The Ascension squash was only noteworthy because they have new challengers in Kalisto and Local. My pessimist side is concerned that The Ascension will roll through them, but there's a chance we'll see an upset win for the luchadors. The ladies' tournament match was fine but not quite as good as I would’ve hoped. I couldn't care less about the deal with Mojo and English; sorry. The highlight of Colin Cassady's match was CJ Parker so that tells you all you need to know about that. The highlight of the show was clearly the interview bits throughout the show building to the main event and the match itself. If you haven't watched the show yet, feel free to skip to the last segment.
Be sure to check out myself and Darren Gutteridge on the Member-Exclusive Dot Net NXT Audio Recap each and every Friday!
Throw comments, questions, criticisms, or corrections @DotNetZim or DotNetZim@gmail.com; always happy to discuss.