04/27 Pruett's Weekly Power Rankings: Will Pruett uses his biased eye and tremendous discernment to break down the top ten wrestlers in WWE, TNA, ROH, PWG... hell, the entire industry
By Will Pruett
These rankings are scientifically calculated by the <b>Rank-o-matic 4000</b> and verified by four out of five top scientists in the wrestling arts. They are to be taken solemnly and with absolute seriousness.
1. The Shield. The heavy load of being the number one babyface in wrestling has fallen onto the ready and able backs of The Shield. It's amazing to see a faction expected to have been broken up by this point in the year carrying a heavy burden. It's even more amazing considering these three men have only been on the main roster for a year and a half. Kudos to Reigns, Rollins, and Ambrose for stepping up when they've been called upon.
2. Wade Barrett. His "Bad News" Barrett character took a little while to get used to, but it's really taking off now. His in-ring work has been inspired and it's clear all of WWE, from the production crew to the other wrestlers, care about him getting over. Barrett is looking fantastic.
3. Evolution. It's a mystery. Who knew?
4. The Fans Who Voted Against John Cena. WWE had their most loyal app-having fans vote for their top star to face three vicious men at once. It wasn't very nice, but it was fun to see. Cena acted betrayed. The Wyatt Family embraced the love of the people (although the live people didn't love them quite as much). It was interesting to watch and even more interesting to hear to commentators and post-show blowhards discuss.
5. Best Friends. If you haven't seen the work Chuck Taylor and Trent? are doing on the indie scene, you are missing out. This team, named "Best Friends" because they are best friends is brining some awesome professional wrestling and dynamic comedy to PWG. They were announced as facing Candice and Joey at PWG's May 23 show, which for me, is a true dream match. We are all Best Friends.
6. El Torito. Say what you will about the bull gimmick being a little weird, the wrestling ability of El Torito more than makes up for it. It's obvious he has been working with Hornswoggle and they were ready to show off. El Torito is actually an amazingly talented wrestler (his pre-WWE name was Mascarita Dorada). Watch his older work, then watch his recent series with Hornswoggle.
7. Hornswoggle. A very improved Hornswoggle has embarked on a great heel turn as a member of 3MB. Something about Hornswoggle acting like a faux-rockstar is really fun. Sure, it's a little too much like Rockstar Spud in TNA, but Hornswoggle is in the correct place on the card.
8. Daniel Bryan. Monday night was an exceptionally brave moment for Daniel Bryan. I'm amazed he was even able to walk to the ring and do his entrance on Raw. His moment leading the "Yes" chants with Brie Bella (who was in her wrestling gear, not a skimpy outfit as Jason Powell has written all week long) was genuinely touching. This was a tough week for Bryan to perform anything at all. His work on Monday was extraordinary given the circumstances.
9. Kane. The monster is back and he did better work than I ever expected on Monday night. Hell, fire, and brimstone is in the future for Daniel Bryan and three tombstones are in the past. Kane is such an interesting character. He was rebuilt with most of his heat in just about ten minutes on Raw.
10. TNA Sacrifice. What's better than a pay-per-view event? A surprise pay-per-view event. Surprise! Sacrifice! The reason for the pay-per-view's name? The $45 you'll be sacrificing for the show.
Just missing the cut: Stephanie McMahon, Bobby Roode, Gunner (who was in the Military), Paige, Emma's pink cobra, the Anaheim Ducks, and Jon Snow.
Nowhere near this list: TNA Creative's Copy and Paste function, Vince Russo, Eric Young, Abyss, Paul Heyman, Rob Van Dam, Cesaro, Dixie Carter, Santino, the Dallas Stars, the Red Wings (because f-word the Red Wings), and B-Boy.
Will Pruett writes about wrestling in a facetious and often humorous way. Feel free to email him at email@example.com or to follow him and interact on twitter @itswilltime.
RECOMMEND THIS ARTICLE:
READ OUR INSIDER NEWS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! BECOME A MEMBER FOR JUST $7.50 A MONTH (or less with a year-long sub) - GET THE FIRST LOOK AT EXCLUSIVE INSIDER DOT NET NEWS, TONS OF EXCLUSIVE AUDIO CONTENT, MEMBER MESSAGE BOARD ACCESS, START YOUR OWN BLOG, AND VIEW THE SITE WITHOUT ANY ADVERTISING: SIGN ME UP (or MORE INFO)
RELATED ARTICLES FROM MGID AFFILIATE SITES...